The tools that keep us safe have to be easy to use.
That’s the premise of USABLE, a two-year project bringing a human centered design approach to open source digital security tools protecting at-risk users around the world. The designers, developers, and community trainers behind USABLE are coming together for the UXForum, and we’re opening the doors for one night. Come meet the visionary leaders who are piloting and developing solutions for activists facing censorship, hacking, surveillance, and suppression in some of the world’s most challenging environments.
- Jeanne Bourgault, President, Internews
- Community representatives, developers, designers, and trainers including:
- Mykola Kostynyan – Ukraine: Mykola has trained over a thousand Ukrainian human rights defenders, journalists, and NGO activists over the past two years, working with many organizations, including the eQualit.ie Digital Security School, Internews, OSCE, IWPR, Freedom House and The ISC Project.
- Mariel Garcia M – Mexico: Mariel is an ICT for change advocate. She does instructional design and training on digital security, privacy and media literacies with youth and women’s groups in Mexico. Mariel was recently featured by the BBC on International Women’s Day: http://www.bbc.com/news/in-pictures-35705391
- Helen Nyinakiiza – Uganda: Helen is a trainer of safety and security tools for human rights defenders. She is a consultant for Amnesty’s Panic Button project and currently working on the USABLE workshop program by Internews. Helen participated on research publications for human rights defenders in the East and Horn of Africa and is passionate about sharing knowledge on digital security and human rights.
P.S. At UX in a High-Risk World, Internews’ USABLE team will launch the UXFund Call for Proposals. UXFund is a small-grants program to support usability and accessibility improvements for open-source digital security tools. USABLE is a project by Internews, learn more at USABLE.tools
UX in a High-Risk World is held with support from Yahoo!, Vodafone Americas Foundation, Innovation Hangar, ThoughtWorks, with outreach support from Internet Freedom Festival, Access Now, and Simply Secure.
Date & Location
- Date: Thu, 14 Jul 2016
- Time: 6:30 PM to 9:30 PM (PDT)
- Where: San Francisco, California, United States
- RSVP: https://www.eventbrite.com/e/ux-in-a-high-risk-world-tickets-25739389206
- Code of Conduct: https://usable.tools/codeofconduct