Many online communities are fragile, toxic spaces. Some people have given up on engagement altogether. But we believe that healthy online communities can exist, given the right systems and tools.
News publishers in particular need new and better ways to engage with their communities, share knowledge, empower individuals, and squash trolls.
Mozilla, The New York Times, and The Washington Post are coming together as the Coral Project to build open source tools for publishers of all sizes to build better communities around their journalism.
Help us make the internet a better place for everyone.
We’re looking for a designer to join our team full time, to help us create amazing user experiences. You’ll work either from New York or Washington, DC, based inside the offices of the New York Times or the Washington Post.
What you have:
- Passion for user centered design and collaborative work
- Keen interest in mobile interfaces and online community
- Some experience designing for mobile or web
- Working knowledge of design and prototyping tools
- Eagerness to learn, expand your skills and try new tools
- Talent for creating elegant design solutions
- A strong portfolio of design work
What you will do:
- Design user experiences - working closely with the Lead Designer to outline how users will move through our products
- Design interfaces - work with our Lead Designer to create visuals for how features will look and function
- Sketch concepts, wireframes, and prototypes to find innovative solutions to problem
- Conduct user testing with Lead designer to gain a better understanding of user needs
- Participate in product and design discussions with the team
- Collaborate with teammates to create polished experiences focused on user needs
If you’re deeply interested in working on community design and have relevant skills and experience, please consider applying even if your background doesn’t perfectly match our ideal credentials. We are committed to diversity and especially encourage members of underrepresented communities to apply.