The conference on everything related to governance, collaboration, legal and economics within the scope of FOSS. Two days of discussion and learning about non-technical aspects of open source development. Topics include open source project leadership best practices, community management, open source project metrics, open source strategy for enterprise, adopting open source collaboration in corporations, legal matters when dealing with open source and many more.
FOSS Backstage is an open platform that thrives on contributions. The dedicated program committee wants to shape a program that truly is “by the community for the community”. Therefore they are looking forward to input.
They are interested in talks on Open Source project leadership best practices, community management, Open Source project metrics, Open Source strategy for enterprise, adopting Open Source collaboration in corporations (Inner Source), and legal matters when dealing with Open Source.
To give you an idea of the types of talks we are looking for we have created the tracks listed below:
- Governance & Community
- Sustainability & Funding
- Funding Legal & Compliance
- Diversity & Inclusion
- Growing Open Source
Some question that you might want to discuss in your proposals are:
- How can people, who are scattered around the world work together on projects best?
- Why is it important to convince people, businesses, cities or even states to use and develop Free and Open Source Software?
- How can I sustain my FOSS project?
- What Open Source business models are there?
- How to best grow and maintain your open source communities and allies?
- How to manage your relationship to those stakeholders and what role do OSPOs have in this?
- What is the role of design in good open source projects?
Related topics not explicitly listed above are of course welcome as well. They do not, however, accept product presentations or company marketing pitches.
Open Source Design involvement
We at Open Source Design will be helping FOSS Backstage connect with the Open Source design community to include talks and sessions about design.
We mean “design” in a broad sense -
- UX Design
- UI Design
- Community work in OSS with designers
- Open Typography
- Graphic design
- Interaction design
- Design research activities
- Architechture and 3D design
- The use of open source software in the design practice
What and how to submit
You can find all the information on how to submit on the FOSS Backstage CfP website. Call for proposals has ended! thank you for submitting :) ## Submission format 5 minute lightining talk
30 minute talk (This could be a 20 minute talk with 10 minutes for Q&A)
40 minute panel discussion
70 minutes workshop
The Call for Participation closes on November, 15th (23:59 CET). Call for proposals has ended! thank you for submitting :) All submissions will be reviewed anonymously which means that the program committee is unable to see the submitters personal information such as name, location, background etc. Only the talk and the describing abstract is rated in order to reduce unconscious bias.
Notifications about submission status
After all talks are rated, we will inform you about the status of your submission starting Mid-November.
Contact and further questions
If you have further questions, see the FOSS Backstage contact details.
Date & Location
- Date: Wed, 17 - 18 March 2022
- Time: 1/2 days
- Location: Online, Remote and In person in Berlin (limited seats)