This is a showcase of the many websites and platforms where you can find openly licensed icons, fonts, image, tools and other resources. You can use them for any purpose, also commercial (some works have specific licenses, so always make sure it’s fine to use).
- The Noun Project CC and purchasable icons.
- IcoMoon CC icons and free to use icon-font creation software.
- Pictogramas Open source free icons for personal and commercial purposes.
- ToIcon All icons are licensed under a Creative Commons.
- Inkscape Open Symbols Open source icon sets to use as Inkscape symbols.
- IconMonstr A large collection of glyph icons from a German artist. Free to use without attribution and free to modify.
- FontAwesome The iconic font and CSS toolkit. Free to use. CDN. GitHub.
- Font Fabulous A fabulous iconset packaged as a font. Free to use. GitHub.
- Flickr Creative Commons
- The Stocks
- New York Public Library Public Domain Images
Media from big platforms under Creative Commons licenses
- Use a pen & paper for mockups and prototypes. No hi-fi Photoshop work needed.
- Draw.io (diagrams, mockups)
- Pencil (mockups)
- Krita (art, digital painting)
- Blender (3d rendering, animation, textures)
- darktable (photo workflow)
- RawTherapee (photo workflow)
- digiKam (photo management)
- GIMP (image manipulation, compositing)
- Inkscape (vector elements, print export)
- Synfig for animation
- Natron (compositing, VFX, motion graphics)
- Scribus (page layout, desktop publishing)
- DisplayCAL (color calibration)
- Kdenlive (video editing)
- Design discussion on the issue tracker of the project. For example at GitHub – get an account, identify design issues, participate, and open new issues. Establish a »Design« tag on the tracker to group these issues, for example like in the Nextcloud issues.
- BASCSS Lightning-Fast, Modular CSS for Designers.
- Bourbon A simple and lightweight mixin library for Sass.
- Kickoff A lightweight front-end framework for creating scalable, responsive sites.
- Space Base A sass-based responsive css framework.
- Rebar Simple lightweight HTML, CSS (LESS)
- PatternFly A community of designers and developers collaborating to build a UI framework for enterprise web applications.
General Design Reads
- First Rule of Usability? Don’t Listen to Users by Jakob Nielsen (2001)
- 10 Heuristics for User Interface Design by Jakob Nielsen (1995)
- 19 Principles of User Interface Design by Joshua Porter
- ten principles for good design by Dieter Rams (1970s)
- A Beginner’s Guide to Finding User Needs
- Don’t Make Me Think
- The Design of Everyday Things
- Design principles for UI/UX
Open Source and Design Reads
- Free Software UI (2002)
- How Not To Design a Portfolio
- Open Design Now book.
- Coordinating usability & testing in Free Software (2011) thesis.
- How to get designers (or anyone) to work on your open source project recent article on Design Open.
- Barriers Faced by newcomers to open source projects: a systematic review Research Paper.
- An Exploration of Fedora’s Online Open Source Development Community Research Paper.
- Designers and women in open source Why designing is difficult for Open Source.
- Designers, Women, and Hostility in Open Source Project Follow up to the above article.
- Barriers for Designers What barriers designers face when contributing to Open Source.
Other nice stuff in the design + open source space
- Libre Graphics magazine print magazine.
- Libre Projects collection of nice open source web apps.
- Libre Graphics World
- Libre Graphics Meeting conference.
- Beautiful Open Beautiful sites for Open Source projects.
- Open Design and Hardware Group. OKFN open design and hardware group.
- PIXLS.US Free/Open Source Photography.
- Photos of Design Research on Wikimedia Commons
Learn to Code
- WebPlatform web development resources.
- Mozilla Developer Network for great web dev documentation.
- Unheap a tidy repository of jQuery plugins.
- Transitional Interfaces, Coded for good animations.
- Codecademy with interactive tutorials.
- Try Git also with interactive tutorials.
- Code School learn even more.
- Egghead to learn the AngularJS framework.
- Tota11y a bookmarklet to check that your website is a11y compliant.
- Open Source Guide: How to Contribute to Open Source
- Course: How to Contribute to an Open Source Project on GitHub
Learn to Design
Learn about design concepts! :)