- A logo (in SVG) in both a full-color and single-color (mono/black-and-white) version. Should be suitable for use:
- web branding
- marketing slides, brochures, etc.
- as part of Android app icon, notification icon
- on a “hexie” (hexagonal sticker)
- Preferably with color suggestions, and ideally open-source font suggestions (in some places we’ll presumably have the logo next to the word Monado)
- We’d be really excited if there was a clear way to create a 3D model equivalent of it. That would be useful in 3D UI stuff.
The results will be licensed as a part of the Monado project.
[“Ryan (co-maintainer) email@example.com”, “Repo: https://gitlab.freedesktop.org/monado/monado\r\n\r\nTracking issue, with our existing sketches - feel free to build on them: https://gitlab.freedesktop.org/monado/monado/-/issues/110”]
Monado is an open-source runtime, focused on implementing the Khronos OpenXR standard in a fully open-source, permissively-licensed project. The project was founded by Collabora, so in some places (e.g. Khronos slide decks) the project gets represented by a Collabora logo right now, which isn’t great since we want it to be independent.
Right now we’re using a variety of placeholders for the logo (in some places a silly photo of a dog wearing an HMD, in others a sketch proposed by one of our devs) but as we’re approaching a 1.0 “conformant” release we’d like to get something properly done.
It should stand out, look sleek/futuristic, and also not be tied to a specific tech (head-mounted displays, etc) since wide-ranging hardware support and future development is anticipated. The payment is being funded by Collabora’s marketing department, so it should be marketing-friendly and appealing, of course.
Of course, as part of the Monado project, involvement is subject to the FreeDesktop.org code of conduct: https://gitlab.freedesktop.org/monado/monado#contributing-code-of-conduct
I brain-dumped some key points the logo might flow from below.
- Monado (name has no inherent meaning or relation to any other thing named Monado) is an open-source virtual reality/augmented reality (VR/AR/XR) runtime/system.
- A community project founded and supported by Collabora.
- Hosted under the freedesktop.org umbrella
- Open source
- “free as in freedom”
- graphics rendering
- Is an OpenXR runtime - so see their materials for inspiration as well https://www.khronos.org/openxr/ - note the X is a V and A stacked (x is a placeholder, not an initial)
- especially the “tshirt design”
- do not focus on current hardware (e.g. headsets)
- expanding reality
- concepts to consider:
- triangle “meshes”
- 3D solids
- 3D coordinate axes
- X-Y-Z (conventionally associated with R-G-B respectively, and in OpenXR, x is right, y is up, and z is out of the screen toward you.)
- Compatibility: intended to work on a wide range of devices and systems