Required Skills And Experience
- Ability to maintain a good view across a number of projects, and to be a go-to person for the design team as a whole and work with other seniors and leads to align overall departmental processes
- Ability to articulate clearly and effectively your design decisions to team members, engineers and stakeholders
- Ability to develop the process / approach for tackling a design problem and to lead the exploration and design solutions of undefined problem spaces
- Ability to set up, attend and run weekly catch-ups with engineers and stakeholders you are collaborating with
- Desire to work collaboratively with team members across different disciplines
- Ability to work in an agile way and manage your own workload to deliver designs to agreed timescales
- Motivation to drive understanding of impact and success metrics to focus your efforts. Develop a good working knowledge of KPI’s and Google Analytics - goal setting and tracking, A/B testing etc.
- Proficiency in design and prototyping tools and basic understanding of HTML and CSS
- Bachelor’s or master’s degrees or equivalent
- 5~7 years experience in UX design roles
GreenHouse application link: https://grnh.se/fcbd33bb1us
Canonical is the company behind Ubuntu, the leading operating system for container, cloud, internet of things and hyperscale computing, central to modern tech from development to production.
Our design team, centred in Europe, has specialists in visual and UX design, and front and back end development. We collaborate, as product design squads, with global distributed development engineering teams.
We count on our team to bring together deep design-thinking, technical domain knowledge, with great instincts, through a rigorous process – to shape products for a very demanding audience. You’ll fit in if you have equal appetites for design, innovation and technology.
What you will be doing
You will be part of a team working on web applications for enterprise cloud services, IoT and embedded devices, bringing exciting new projects to life and improving existing ones.
- You will be leading your product-specific projects, driving design and delivery against agreed goals and working with designers, product management and engineering to deliver on the strategic vision for Canonical.
- You will plan and conduct research with target users and stakeholders from the business to identify and document users’ needs and requirements as well as business requirements and KPIs
- You will manage incoming requests for work that affects you and needs to be considered (e.g. project briefs) and balance and prioritise the various projects’ requirements. In your day to day you are defining the scope, milestones and deliverables for any given iteration.
- You apply agile/lean project management methodologies. You will be the person resolving any blockers on your projects, through clear communication with project management and actively seeking help from team members, your manager and others.
- You will liaise with relevant stakeholders and engineers to achieve company goals, making time to talk via messaging applications, setting up and attending regular meetings, reviewing work with them in advance, sharing progress and seeking their input to achieve consensus and drive progress.
- We try as much as we can to share our experiences and knowledge within the team and to the community through informal presentations, the design blog and other events.
- Driving the adoption of Vanilla, our front end framework. You will be encouraging teammates to use or iterate existing patterns or when desired to design new patterns that are used across Canonical products and available as an open source resource.